Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers

The Nine TailorsThe Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

“So I think I'd better go, said Wimsey. "I rather wish I hadn't come buttin' into this. Some things may be better left alone, don't you think? My sympathies are all in the wrong place and I don't like it. I Know all about not doing evil tha good may come. I'ts doin' good that evil may come that is so embarrassin'."
"My dear boy," said the Rector, "it does not do for us to take too much thought for the morrow. It is better to follow the truth and leave the results in the hand of God. He can forsee where we cannot, because He knows all the facts.”


It was with this quote that I understood why Sayers designed such an "easy" mystery and places this book on my re-read list. I knew fairly early on the identity of the corpse, but continued reading to see why she would craft the story so and to see where she was taking me.  She took me to a community that cares for its own, and to the church that stands high on a hill, whose ringing bells bring joy, comfort, and alarms in times of need. That church provided shelter when a flood and tragedy occur because pleas for a solution are ignored. In all of this, by crafting several sub-plots, she asks me to consider that the ways of our Lord are indeed the mystery bringing both sorrow and joy with comfort, sometimes a indiscernible comfort, being had in leaving "the results in the hand of God."  Masterly and subtly crafted, it is well worth a second or more reading.


View all my reviews

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Quotidian Life said...

This book has been on my bookshelf for years, a recommendation from someone (or two) sometime. I can't remember who or where. I must bump it up in the queue!

I look forward to hearing what you think of H is for Hawk. I think it is a book my son-in-law would like and thought of getting it for him.